Prepare all cakes with a hole in the middle to go over the PVC pipe.
I added the third layer to the cake and then attached the '4-way' joint.
I attached PVC pipe for the "shoulders" and then attached the elbow joints.

It's starting to take shape, huh? I should've added a fourth layer to cover the pipes, but then it wouldn't have been square anymore...so I just iced over it.
Crumb coat then chill, chill, chill!
I fondanted it, being quick to cut out the holes for the neak and arms so that that the fondant wouldn't rip.

Then I attached the neak, and arm PVC pipes along with a 'T joint' for the head and fondanted them too.
It's starting to take shape, huh? I should've added a fourth layer to cover the pipes, but then it wouldn't have been square anymore...so I just iced over it.
After this, I added the details to the body, and painted it to make it look dirty, just like in the movie.
Then, I cut out the rectangles for the arms. I couldn't figure out any other way to do the arms...I suppose I could've cut the rectangles out of styrafoam and shoved them onto the PVC pipe, but I was running out of time and I didn't have any styrafoam left.
The hands were made from a gum paste/fondant mix and then shaped over a cylinder container to give it movement. Then, of course, painted silver just like the head.
For the head, I cut out two styrafoam shapes in the shape of the head (the rice crispy treats kept falling off) and fondanted them too. I attached them to the T joint then added the details on the head.
For the tires (this was the part that I was not happy with) I shaped rice crispy treats over the wooden blocks but didn't get the shape right. I cut out strips of fondant for the tire tracks and then painted it black. I didn't have any black fondant and it's hard to make fondant black. Black fondant would've been the best choice. The painting looks messy.
The coolest part was that the arms could move up and down and the birthday boy could play with it before we ate it.
Here is the result:

1 comment:
really unbelievable!! I was watching ace of cakes yesterday and thought of you. I bet you watch that show all the time because you have that style! You could totally apply for a job with them...lol! You are amazing!
Post a Comment