Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 quarts
- Cooking Spray
- 4 quarts popped popcorn
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Karo Light OR Dark Corn Syrup
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter OR margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Spray a large shallow roasting pan with cooking spray. Add popcorn and place in preheated 250°F oven while preparing caramel.
- Mix brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt in a heavy 2-quart saucepan. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Boil 5 minutes WITHOUT STIRRING. Remove from heat. Stir in baking soda and vanilla.
- Pour syrup mixture over warm popcorn, stirring to coat evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and spread on foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Cool; break apart. Store in tightly covered container.

4 comments:
That looks like it would be a good treat for a FHE Movie night. Ill try it next Monday. Did you use butter or plain popcorn?
This blog isn't exactly giving me the will power I need to lose the 10 lbs. from the baby. That looks so good, I have a weakness for carmel corn.
Heather,
I air popped the corn so it was just plain when I started. I know you add butter later. Maybe you can play with it to get the right balance if you use pre-buttered corn.
Shelly,
This carmel corn really is good and if you have it in the house it will be eaten. Its addicting. You have been warned!
This carmel corn is so fantastic. I've tried it before. But....I will warn you that I used margarine the first time and it was all chewy and did NOT taste as good. You HAVE to use butter to really get the fullest enjoyment out of it. Thanks guys!
Also, It's great to put in cute bags and give to your neighbors or visiting teaching sisters.
P.S. Heather is so right! It WILL be eaten!
Post a Comment